Project Humid Hide (Overview)


Hey there! It’s been a few days since I posted something, but I really wanted to post this before I forgot to! I promised that I would share my whole entire science fair project with you guys, but then I realized: Oh crap, that means I have to type everything all over again. Now, this wouldn’t be an issue normally, however, I accidentally deleted all of the stuff I had typed up on the computers at school! How stupid of me…

Anyways, I thought I’d just give you the speech I had to give over and over and over again at the science fair.

Welcome to Project Humid Hide! I wanted to know if the types of substrates for my leopard gecko’s humid hide would change his activity, and how.

So, to begin, I’d like to explain to you a little something about leopard geckos. They are kind of smart, and will only eat as much as they can, and won’t go overboard on mealworms.

My hypothesis is that yes, it will definitely change his activity. I think this because if the amount of moisture a specific substrate can hold differs, and if one holds too much, maybe Sammy won’t go in his humid hide, just like a person might be uncomfortable in a stuffy room, and if a substrate doesn’t hold enough moisture, it would practically defeat the whole purpose of a humid hide.

Since a heating pad has a huge role in helping digestion, maybe the humid hide does, too. So, if this turns out to be true, Sammy might not eat because he won’t be able to digest things properly.

Also, I think that paper towel will be the best substrate to use for my gecko, because he is already used to it and will probably readapt much quicker than starting with a whole new thing.

What I did to test my hypothesis was quite simple, actually. I used four different scenarios over a 16 day course, and recorded how many mealworms Sammy ate and if he went to the bathroom or not. The substrates I used were green moss, Eco Earth, paper towel, and then I did a four day period without substrate. I had four days for each one, but only recorded three days for each, just so Sammy could adapt to the substrates before I recorded anything.

With green moss, Sammy wouldn’t eat, however, he went to the bathroom once. With Eco Earth, he ate an average of 7 mealworms a day, and went to the bathroom twice over the four day course. Using paper towel, he ate an average of 6.7 mealworms a day, and again, he “relieved” himself twice. Without substrate, he refused food and wouldn’t go to the bathroom.

So, in conclusion, I found that the substrate really does make a difference, and that the best one to use, according to this procedure, would be Eco Earth.

If I were to try this project all over again, I’d probably use more types of substrates for longer periods of time. Also, I’d definitely scratch out green moss and the empty trial. This is because green moss seems more like a sub-tropic or forest type of substrate, and the empty humid hide is basically just a normal cave with water droplets. Also, I’d try this at another time of the year, because when I tested this, Sammy had just come out of brumation. This would affect how much he ate.

I hope you enjoyed my presentation, and if you have any questions I’m glad to answer them!

Aaaaand that was pretty much my whole project for you. Except my presentation board has much more in-depth, short essays that I really don’t want to type out.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Erin

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s